Sunday, December 23, 2007

Holiday Greetings

I am not much of a holiday person. I am sure there are people, many of them, that are the same as me. But probably not for the same reasons. Since I work in TV, I spend 10 hours a day, sometimes longer, in front of an on air monitor, doing my job, which is to make sure that the programming and commercials run okay. Now, when the holidays roll around, right about Halloween time, the advertisers start rolling out their holiday spots. We have 2 servers that have over 80 hours each in which to dub spots in for air. When the holidays roll around, we get really low on time and have to manage closely the amount of time each server has, so that we don't run out of time. Simply because we dub in so many holiday spots.

As an experiment, try sitting in front of one commercial TV channel for at least 10 hours a day for a minimum of 110 hours every 2 weeks. You will be surprised at how many variations of holiday music there are as advertisers have customized Christmas favorites for their spots. By the time the holidays are over, if I hear another Zales, Jared, Target, Walmart or Hyundai spot just to name a few, I want to kill somebody. Many of them try to be clever, the Hyundai spot for example has a choir singing "Duh" to "Carol of the Bells" and if you are one the people out there that still take LSD, chances are, it's a real freak out for you, as some of the special effects they use, I wonder if the director was dropping 'cid when he shot it. And those stupid jewelry spots just irritate me. Zales and Jared, grrrr.

So anyway, in the spirit of the season, I am posting what has become our favorite version of a Christmas carol here at the station. Now, this has been a favorite for some years as we are a warped lot and we always ask people when they want us to help them with something, "would you like an apple pie with that?" or "ding fries are done". It's a inside joke and I won't go into it. So without further ado, here is my contribution to the holiday season. Hope you all have a merry Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever and here is my contribution;

No comments: